We Must Protect This House (except from floods)

When a weather event causes damage to our home it is a quick call to our homeowners insurance company, pay our deductible, and go about our day.  In most cases that is exactly how it goes.  However, there is always 1 event which is a subject of frustration and normally is not covered...
  • Flood - a general and temporary condition where two or more acres of normally dry land or two or more properties are inundated by water or mudflow - for more info
Odd example of flood that is not covered - a Storm that causes sideways rain which gets into your home through a crack in cement or wood, some companies will cover the damage but most will not

"I have a basement that gets water but has a sump pump." - there is a way to get water due to flood covered in some instances through an endorsement which can be added to your homeowners policy.  It is not automatically added by your insurance company and not all companies offer this endorsement

"So does any water damage constitute a flood and therefore not covered?" - absolutely not, in many cases the damage from water is absolutely covered

Not in a flood zone?  You can still purchase flood insurance. 
  • How much? usually $200-$500 annually.
As always please shoot me an email if there is a specific insurance subject you would like to learn about -

Next month - Hurricane Deductible vs Wind/Hail Deductible

No comments:

Post a Comment